[maemo-community] [maemo2midgard] yet an other no go

From: Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Date: Thu Mar 8 15:18:46 EET 2007
On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 13:04 +0200, ext Henri Bergius wrote:
> If I were the one making decisions, I'd release the new site now as-is,
> as it is already a lot better than the existing maemo.org

Do you mean releasing pages like


... and losing the links to the Planet and the Garage (I think, I
haven't checked all the pages).

Who from your friends and clients would do this with their own site?  :)

At the end we are talking about different needs here:

- There is a need to consider complete the Midgard migration. To me
that's fine, everything seems to work as expected. The problems I am
arising are related to content and structure, they have nothing to do
with the CMS as a tool. Ferenc says the old content has been migrated,
fine. I don't know what have you agreed, but signing off the phase and
having this period of support for whatever we encounter should be
enough. Then Ferenc and you can move onto new things. (note than I am
not the one deciding this).

- There is a need to release a new website. The new website needs to be
better than the current one, but above everything it needs to pass the
most essential quality checks. Pages like the ones linked above are fine
for a test site, not for a public release. Beyond that, we can work on
the structure and the content to solve many obvious problems of the
current site that aren't solved in the new one. Nor we can ask for a
homepage to be delivered in 24h as final version when we haven't written
down the most basic specs. The maemo community deserves a useful and
rocking website. We are not there, we can't remove "test" from

Releasing the site is a decision I'm co-responsible of. And I think I'm
showing good reasons (that look obvious to me) not to release.

Quim Gil - http://maemo.org

More information about the maemo-community mailing list