[maemo-developers] Autobuilder repository priority ?

From: Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com
Date: Mon Nov 2 23:52:48 EET 2009
On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:27, Ed Bartosh wrote:

> 2009/11/2 Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah at jeremiahfoster.com>:
>> On Nov 1, 2009, at 18:05, Ed Bartosh wrote:
>>> Idea of having separate queue for Extras updates sounds more  
>>> promising
>>> to me. Developers might become confused with all this set of
>>> repositories, queues and processes, but the idea is good. I support
>>> this.
> What about this? Can we have separate queue for updates? Any other  
> ideas?

Can you explain how this might work and it's advantages? I am not  
against it aside from the fact that I think another repo is confusing.  
Is the proposal to create a repo called extras-updates which would  
hold only updates to software that has already existed in the repos? I  
don't see how that is different from just updating the existing  
package with new software. If you want to pull in different version  
numbers than what exists why would you need a separate repo?

I think this is adding complexity - and we are in danger of having too  
much complexity already.

>>>> In case of overlapping SDK/Extras I can't think of a satisfactory
>>>> solution as
>>>> then fixes for the latter would appear as fixes for the former,
>>>> which is wrong
>>>> and dangerous. Another issue would be that you would not be getting
>>>> SDK
>>>> updates if you have extras or extras-updates disabled, which is  
>>>> very
>>>> counterintuitive.
>>> True. I also don't see any more or less acceptable solution for  
>>> this.
>> Having a single repo for each distro would be ideal, with _all_ the
>> software required to run the device in the repo. Then we can co-
>> ordinate the release as a single, monolithic repository. I know this
>> is wishful thinking because not everything is licensed to allow this,
>> but if we could get as much as possible in a single location, then we
>> make life easier for developers.
> Sounds like a long-term plan.

> Attila  was asking us to solve problem with updates. And he proposed
> good solution. Shell we implement it right now or you propose to wait
> until we have Maemo distro and all this great things?

No, let's try and solve his proposal now. I am open to whatever people  
think is best, I don't want to stand in the way of a new repository if  
others think it is the right path to choose.


More information about the maemo-developers mailing list