[maemo-developers] Universal Control for CE/HA? (maemo)

From: Jed jedi.theone at gmail.com
Date: Fri Oct 2 18:19:36 EEST 2009
This is it, no more spam from me, thanks to everyone that's offered
their thoughts. Hopefully I'll get a few more but if not, tis all good!

If you look at the attached diagram I'm hoping to devise a device that
acts a central controller for consumer electronics & home automation.
I want a hand-held to interface with it, this hand-held would ideally
also have IR integrated, but it's not imperative as Wifi would be used

So far the best solution I've found is this

You don't have to use their reference hardware but something low
power/profile like it I think would be ideal.
It's critical you have JRE + Apache Tomcat installed/configured
properly, I'd run this software on top of Ubuntu or maybe LinuxMCE.

I was also thinking of integrating the entire thing into my existing
HTPC/PVR but I'm not sure yet, it might be better to have a
dedicated/separate machine. This controller would be able to
send/receive via; Internet, wifi, Ethernet, IR, X10, proprietary RF, &
numerous other CE/HA related protocols.

Interested in other peoples ideas, have you tried something similar, or
have you heard of a better platform then openremote?