[maemo-developers] Proper Way To Call Browser (Fremantle)

From: Brent Chiodo bchiodo at gmail.com
Date: Mon Oct 19 18:29:11 EEST 2009
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having a problem with using
that dbus service call. When I try it in the SDK I get:

[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > dbus-send --system --type=method_call
--dest="com.nokia.osso_browser" --print-reply
/com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.load_url
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
com.nokia.osso_browser was not provided by any .service files

But if I open the browser first, then try it, it works fine.

SDK or platform bug? What gives?

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM, daniel wilms <daniel.wilms at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> the browser can be opened by using a dbus-service. The package is called
> "tablet-browser-interface" and you find the header in the dev-package. Here
> is an example how to call the service from the command line:
> dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest="com.nokia.osso_browser"
> --print-reply /com/nokia/osso_browser/request
> com.nokia.osso_browser.load_url string:"http://www.google.com"
> Cheers Daniel
> ext Brent Chiodo wrote:
>> I am writing an application for Maemo 5/Fremantle that needs to load the
>> browser to a specific page when needed. How would I go about calling the
>> browser?
>> Ideally, I want to open the browser in a new window to a specific page and
>> in the current browser process if there is already one open.
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Brent Chiodo