[maemo-developers] maemo-optify, autobuilder & /opt

From: Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Date: Thu Oct 29 12:56:23 EET 2009
Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Alberto wrote:
>> Graham Cobb wrote:
>>> So, the consensus decision was that the solution would be that autobuilder
>>> should automatically optify by default.
>> Sounds wrong to me.
> Can you elaborate? I'd like to be convinced (as I was during the BOF) rather than just whomever expresses the most feelings most often and loudest getting their way.

Sure :-)

> Assuming:
>   * Developers want to upload the same source package
>     for Diablo, Fremantle and Mer;

I have some doubts on this assumption. Fremantle is rather different then the
previous version, so the source package will be most likely a separate one
(especially for UI apps). At least this is going to be the case for maemo-mapper.

>   * /opt won't be necessary at some point in
>     the future, or on some devices such as those
>     running Mer;
>   * Nokia aren't going to implement a union FS or
>     just use the NAND for swap (and put the rootfs
>     on the eMMC) in the shortf (or even, probably,
>     medium-) term;
>   * Pretty much every package on Maemo should be using
>     /opt as much as possible;

Ok, but then the maemo-optify will be doing different things in the various
build environments.

> ...it was concluded that:
>   a) Modifying debian/rules is hacky and causes
>      forking between Diablo, Fremantle and Mer.

Mmm... It might be hacky, true. But it does not cause any forking, if we provide
it for Diablo and Mer too.

>   b) A control file field makes the most sense to
>      control the build process.

>   c) That the absence of the control field would
>      Do The Right Thing ((c) Ruby, Perl, Groovy)
>      which, on Fremantle, is optification in most cases.

Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion about that, but I wonder if the automatic
optification might introduce some subtle bugs that the developer might have
trouble to investigate, if he doesn't know that the build system did modify his

http://www.mardy.it <-- geek in un lingua international!