[maemo-users] Using phone as modem

From: Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Date: Sat Apr 2 20:53:30 EEST 2011
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> Somewhat off-topic, but I suspect there's the expertise on this list.

For the benefit of any search engines or other curious entities, I solved 
this. Sort of. Fedora 9 with the Nokia E71 phone "just worked" using the 
USB cable (which I'd left at home) using Gnome Networkmanager.
Over Bluetooth, that was ignored but I could use rfcomm to talk to the 
modem and then pppd with chat to establish a connection, same as for my 
old phone with cable. My N810 uses ATD*99***1# but ATD*99# works fine; I 
guess a cid of 1 is the default.

I didn't manage to get it to work under Windows; the Nokia OVI suite 
contains a big list of APNs and dial codes for hundreds of cellular 
networks around the world, including Rogers, but failed to connect for 
some reason even though it appeared to use the same settings as worked on 
Linux. I see that they now have a separate APN for "tethering", though 
the "internet.com" APN still works for my N810 and laptop.

Somewhat documented at http://andrew.daviel.org/nokiaE71-linux.html

I haven't tried talking to the modem directly from the N810; a while ago 
with my old phone I found I could get signal strength and cell ID from 
the phone and used that to make a map, basically just for fun.

Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
More information about the maemo-users mailing list