[maemo-community] maemo.org services go to read only mode for the migration

From: Reggie Suplido reggie at internettablettalk.com
Date: Wed Dec 19 15:40:04 EET 2012
Timing will be important then. The server hosting (where TMO resides)
will end on January 20th and I'll let TMO run on it until that date,
so if a VM can be set up by then, then there is no need to get
temporary hosting.

Eero, here are the current specs of the TMO server:

- It is currently hosted on a dedicated 8GB 2GHz quad-core Xeon server
- Current Forum disk space size: ~12GB
- Monthly bandwidth: ~450GB
- Number of emails sent per week (mostly from forum reply notification): ~8000
- Separate server to FTP backup to might also be needed

If I can get FTP/SFTP rights to the web root of the VM and MySQL
access, once it is available, I can help migrate TMO to that server.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Iván Gálvez Junquera
<ivgalvez at gmail.com> wrote:
> TMO hosting is about to be decided during today's Hildon Foundation meeting.
> Also before moving the service we need to purchase a vBulletin license.
> 2012/12/19 Eero af Heurlin <eero.afheurlin at nemein.com>
>> On 2012.12.18 19:56 , Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
>> > Since you (board) are inheriting those new servers today or tomorrow
>> > anyway,
>> > it is the absolutely most cost efficient place to host tmo right now
>> > (actual
>> > cost: zero), given Nemein is willing to set up a plain VM for this
>> > purpose.
>> > Running the VM will be basically for free. And setting it up should also
>> > be
>> > free for board, unless Nemein for unclear reasons would decide they
>> > can't do
>> > and charge this VM setup along with the other migration work they're
>> > just
>> > about to do.
>> >
>> The physical build servers (those that will be transferred to foundation
>> ownership) will not be available before new year deadline (it takes time
>> to procure boxes anyway [and then they need to be base-installed and
>> physically moved to the datacenter etc] and the holidays will definitely
>> cause extra delays).
>> But that is not a major problem, Niels will transfer the build services
>> to VM(s) first and when the physical boxes are in place in the
>> datacenter, council can decide what they want to do with them.
>> Niels just said that he has no access to the TMO server, I don't have
>> access and I can't check with Ferenc right now but would be very
>> surprised if he has some access Niels doesn't.
>> So if someone tells me what TMO needs (nice-to-have and absolute minimum
>> separately) in terms of disk space, RAM and CPU cores I can see what can
>> be done about getting a VM up (we can discuss details of economics when
>> there is no immediate threat of downtime).
>> I can then give full access to designated person(s) to said VM who will
>> hopefully do the actual migration (since we have no access and our hands
>> are quite full enough already).
>> /Rambo
> --
> Iván Gálvez Junquera
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community at maemo.org
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
More information about the maemo-community mailing list